The past few weeks are difficult to categorize, but they involve Presidential meetings and ambassadorial visits and that is never a bad piece of experience for someone my age. I drove by the European Union Parliament and navigated the ins and outs of Brussels and had runs under windmills and along bike paths cutting through flat Belgium farmland. It was a successful few weeks indeed, and the future promises to bring more like them. From laying concrete on the Honduras border with a lovely mason who had spent years in the US before being deported, to shaking hands, formally dressed, with that same country’s ambassador an ocean away, these changes do not get much more drastic.
It was a strange few weeks too, living in a house with ten other people of all ages and backgrounds. It felt fit for a reality show, and as you got to know the various players, all the necessary characters for good television stand out and do the work themselves. All you really need in the end is a good cameraman that does not miss the good stuff. I would not have been surprised to find a few hidden behind clocks and atop doorknobs.
Part of me felt off in the situation: its isolation, its lack of autonomy, and a few of the odd encounters along the way. Part of me recognizes this new job follows no normal format, and so no normal mind-set will do. One night only a few nights ago, a guy walked into our house and told me I would be moving to Qatar by the end of the week. This piece of news, which for many might define a period of their life, feels second nature now. It came with good timing, and tomorrow I will wake up feeling excited and ready to get on a plane; This is not new, and I have a hard time remembering a time that I didn't.
No comments:
Post a Comment