Part of my job -- at least at some subtle level -- deals with international perceptions, or misconceptions, and that is a part I like very much. It is certainly human nature to see one thing on the news, other side of the world, and then to assume everything happens this way. It is human nature to apply one standard to many different places because it is just easier to understand. So I have found it the case with the United States and the Middle East, as strong and fierce as any two places in the world. People who know too little think they know too much, and have very loud voices.
I was in 7th grade on 11 September, 2001. I still remember walking into science class with the television on, a static connection blurring the screen. I arrived home later that day and watched hand-held videos of airplanes surreally crashing into towers and then those towers crashing down. A number of days later, coverage switched to al-Qaeda, and images of robed terrorist leaders in rugged mountains began spreading through the media. I see now this cues a generation brought up on said perceptions of the world, now already more than a decade in the past, and never having been intended as a true representation of a people.
But people infer a lot, and I have thought back on those days often since arriving in the Middle East. Sometimes I link it to crude jokes told by young high school seniors, and other times those shamefully much too old and powerful to make such statements. I thought about this assortment of memories in the United Arab Emirates, cruising through 21st century cities that put many in the US to shame. I think about it when remembering all the delightful well-educated Arabs I've met along the way.
It is funny how the world is getting smaller and flatter but we continue to fall into the same traps travelers fell into passing along the Silk Road, or during the New World Expeditions, or the countless other times in history one type of a person met another type of person and did not really know how to handle themselves. Some things never really change, which must mean it is something about being human.
I have been fortunate in that I have been able to see a lot of places, which creates less of those "shocking revelations." The more places you go the less radical everything becomes. You realize things are always changing, and you become okay with the fact that everything is bound to be something new and different and weird.
I am one that yearns for road trips, because I think moving along an open road is just plain good for the soul. I still think back on Texas to Yellowstone National Park last October, and remember how different I felt about my life those days than I do these days. That was an uncertain stage, and all that mattered was when the next geyser would go off and how prehistoric those blue heated pools looked and how cold it got that night sleeping in the back of my car maybe 100 meters from Old Faithful. I suppose that was all fit for a different time, but it is never a bad time to get out of town awhile. With my spare afternoon, I took the hour drive alone from Abu Dhabi to Dubai across the desert and along the coast until the sand dunes turned into skyscrapers.
It is almost certain the world will be talking about what is going on here now in one hundred or two hundred years the same way we talk about turn of the century New York. Looking up at the Burj Khalifa tower -- the tallest in the world -- you get the sense this is how Romans felt seeing the Colosseum for the first time. Looking at the state of the art metro system and the reshaping of coast line into odd little islands, I could not help but drift back to notions of American exceptionalism and wonder what that even means anymore. I think every American -- all those friends that existed in past lives and foreign places -- needs a trip to Dubai to put a few things in perspective. This is the Middle East of today.
And before I knew it, two flights took me back to Qatar. Both lasted under an hour and both went opposite directions in one of those peculiar airline irregularities that seemingly would not make sense to either customer or service provider. By the time I drifted off to sleep, I was awoken by the jolt of the airplane touching down in Bahrain. Later, out my small window, I saw natural gas refineries lighting up the horizon at night guiding the plane back home in Doha.

No comments:
Post a Comment